Heads up – Check out the latest proposal from the State Bar
State Bar Budget
The State Bar has completed a five-year forecast for its general fund, reflecting a comprehensive assessment of the State Bar’s funding needs from 2020 to 2024. The five-year forecast reflects an overall deficit of $31.9 million in 2020 and increasing each year.
Potential Increase to the Licensing Fee
Three potential increases to your state bar dues have been discussed:
- An ongoing increase to the basic licensing fee (+$100)
- A one‐time special assessment for capital and technology investments (+$250)
- A one-time increase in the amount paid for the Client Security Fund (+$82)
2020 Proposed Licensing Fee for Active Attorneys
- $415 – Basic Fee (Bus. & Prof. Code § 6140) – ongoing $100 increase
- $122 – Client Security Fund (Bus. & Prof. Code § 6140.55) – $82 one time increase
- $25 – Discipline System (Bus. & Prof. Code § 6140.6) – no change
- $10 – Lawyer Assistance Program (Bus. & Prof. Code § 6140.9) – no change
- $40 – Legal Services Assistance (Bus. & Prof. Code § 6140.03) – no change
- $250 – special assessment for capital and technology investments – $250 one time payment
2020 Total: $862 – $47 (optional deductions) = $815 ($432 more than 2019, but $332 of this is a one-time payment)
Please review and send any comments about these changes to your state bar dues to the Board of Trustees, State Bar of California.
State Bar of California, Board of Trustees
Attn: Chair Jason P. Lee
180 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
Please note: The increase in your State Bar Licensing Fee is not related to your ACBA membership. The ACBA and the State Bar are separate entities.