ACBA and Legal Access are proud to be founding members of the Disaster Legal Help Collaborative
[vc_single_image image=”11285″ img_size=”medium”]
FREE LEGAL ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE AFTER A DISASTER
Our coalition of private and public legal organizations created a hotline in an effort to provide legal aide to fire victims across the state after the 2017 North Bay fires. We have the infrastructure to act quickly after a disaster to provide assistance to survivors.
Morrison Foerster LLP put together a great handbook covering issues that individuals, families, and small businesses may face. Read the handbook here
[vc_single_image image=”11260″ img_size=”large” onclick=”img_link_large”]
[vc_text_separator title=”Get Involved” i_icon_fontawesome=”fa fa-hand-o-down” i_color=”black” color=”black” border_width=”2″ add_icon=”true”][vc_cta h2=”Take a training to help after a disaster” h4=”Free webinar”]In the aftermath of disasters, survivors face a wide variety of legal problems and barriers to recovery. This training will enable attorneys to help serve as “legal first responders” and will prepare attorneys to participate in disaster legal services pro bono efforts, including brief phone assistance, providing legal information and referral, in person assistance at know-your-rights workshops, community forums and legal aid clinics (general or subject-specific), and legal representation (limited and full scope). Learn more and/or take the training
[/vc_cta][vc_cta h2=” Lawyers are ready to provide on-the-ground relief after a disaster.” h4=”But they need your help. Donate today!”]Here’s the plan – Donations will be used to provide immediate and long term relief in affected regions of California.
[/vc_cta][vc_text_separator title=”Bay Area Resilience Colaborative” i_icon_fontawesome=”fa fa-balance-scale” i_color=”black” color=”black” border_width=”2″ add_icon=”true”]
Who is the Disaster Legal Help Collaborative ?
The Disaster Legal Help Collaborative is a group of representatives from the entities below that have developed a regional coordination plan for the provision of legal services in the aftermath of a major disaster in the San Francisco Bay Area:
- Alameda County Bar Association and Legal Access Alameda – The ACBA is a community of lawyers who live or practice in Alameda County and who are committed to excellence in the profession and facilitating equal access to justice. Legal Access provides free legal assistance to low-income communities in a variety of areas, as well as running a legal incubator to help new attorneys open community-based practices.
- Bar Association of San Francisco’s SF-Marin Lawyer Referral and Information Service and the Justice & Diversity Center – BASF provides San Francisco legal professionals with networking and pro bono opportunities to better serve the community. The SF-Marin LRIS is a State Bar of California certified lawyer referral service program providing experienced, insured attorneys for consultation and case representation and community legal resources information to the public. The Justice & Diversity Center advances fairness and equality by providing pro bono legal services to low-income people, and educational programs that foster diversity in the legal
- Bay Area Legal Aid – BayLegal ensures fairness in the civil justice system for the most vulnerable members of the community. From Silicon Valley to Napa Valley, clients receive help to protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families.
- Legal Aid Association of California – LAAC is the statewide membership organization for almost 100 legal nonprofits. LAAC advocates for more funding and better laws for legal nonprofits, facilitates communication and coordination between organizations, trains in core substantive areas, analyzes best practices, and works to increase access to justice for all Californians.
- Pro Bono Net – Pro Bono Net is a nonprofit leader in developing innovative technology and forging collaborations that enable legal advocates to make a stronger impact, increase volunteer participation and empower the public with legal resources and self-help tools.
- State Bar of California – The State Bar of California’s mission is to protect the public and includes the primary functions of licensing, regulation and discipline of attorneys; the advancement of the ethical and competent practice of law; and support of efforts for greater access to, and inclusion in, the legal system.