ABOUT THE ACBA
The Alameda County Bar Association (ACBA), an Equal Opportunity Employer, is a nonprofit, voluntary bar association and has a membership of approximately 1,500 attorneys, judges, law students and other professionals working within the legal profession in the greater Bay Area. The ACBA administers numerous programs and activities to benefit attorneys and the community.
If you are interested in learning more about employment opportunities at the ACBA, please contact Amanda Picetti, Director of Administration and Finance, at (510) 302-2207 or email@example.com.
The Membership Assistant position at the Alameda County Bar Association is a non-exempt position reporting to the Membership and Education Coordinator. The Membership Assistant works closely with the Membership and Education Coordinator to increase membership in the ACBA and its sections; accurately manage member information in our databases; plan and produce Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) programs and other events; and handle member-related issues and inquiries. Currently, the position is funded by the ACBA general fund.
1. Act as first point of contact, providing excellent customer service to ACBA members and the public, both in person and over the phone.
2. Process and maintain member records and information:
a. Process new member applications and renewals, including payments;
b. Enter and manage membership information in our databases; and
c. Process and record monies received and perform bank deposits.
3. Help produce MCLE programs and special events:
a. Administer MCLE programs per State Bar of California’s rules;
b. Maintain MCLE records in databases and section files;
c. Maintain event information in the public calendar;
d. Process event registrations over the phone and onsite;
e. Assist with planning program logistics and work with vendors to ensure that programs are produced and executed smoothly; and
f. Set-up conference room for events.
4. Assist Membership and Education Coordinator with supporting practice area sections:
a. Attend meetings as assigned;
b. Assist section members with planning MCLE programs and other events; and
c. Provide support to section members in accordance with ACBA policies and procedures.
5. Assist Membership and Education Coordinator with annual membership dues renewal, phone-a-thon, new member outreach, and annual orientation for section executive committee members.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
At least an AA degree or equivalent work experience
Ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines
Excellent customer service skills
Excellent organizational skills
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
Ability to perform accurate data entry and work quickly and accurately with numbers and written information, with great attention to detail
Proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word) and web browsers
Ability to safeguard confidential information and exercise good judgment
Ability to do research, and analyze information and data
Strong critical thinking skills
Work well in a fast-paced environment
Experience with volunteers and committees helpful
High-energy, motivated and enthusiastic personality helpful
Lawyer Referral Service Intake Coordinator
The Lawyer Referral Service Intake Coordinator is a full time non-exempt position reporting to the Lawyer Referral Service Administrator. This position interfaces between clients seeking attorney services and the attorneys offering legal services. The Intake Coordinator fields a high volume of telephone calls from the public, conducting intakes and providing information about other legal services agencies. This position also assists Volunteer Legal Services Corporation by scheduling clients in legal clinics and conducting client intakes.
1. Answer incoming client calls and respond to online referral requests. Analyze caller requests for referral to an LRS panel member or provide information for appropriate governmental, social service, or legal services agency where referral through LRS is unsuccessful.
2. Process client requests for attorney services by eliciting information from callers about their referral situation and enter this information into a tracking database for subsequent referral and follow up.
3. Conduct intake screening for financial eligibility for LRS based reduced-fee or VLSC pro bono services when appropriate.
4. Assist with monthly VLSC clinic registration.
5. Contact attorney’s offices to place the referable cases, providing all relevant facts, dates and court information to the lawyer’s designated referral agent.
6. Send confirmation documentation to callers and referred attorneys, confirming receipt where appropriate.
7. Input successful referral information for tracking and follow up purposes.
8. Update LRS database with panel members’ malpractice insurance renewals and send monthly reminders to those attorneys whose insurance is due to expire.
9. Assist with the audit of panel members for compliance in fee reporting, including researching cases filed with the court, following up with placed referrals, and processing customer satisfaction surveys.
10. Other general office and administrative tasks as assigned.
Two years of customer service experience required.
One year of administrative experience including data entry and/or word processing; high attention to detail and strong record keeping skills.
Ability to type 40+ wpm.
Ability to handle high call volume and to communicate effectively with a diverse client population in a productive manner
Knowledge of legal terminology and call center experience is a plus.
Bi/Multilingual is preferred.
Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and use of the internet.
Ability to work both independently and as a member of a highly diverse team on complex tasks under high pressure.
Ability to learn and adapt in a fast paced environment.
$35,000 - $38,500
If you are interested in this position, please submit a cover letter, resume and completed ACBA Employment Application to Director of Access Programs Elizabeth Hom at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lawyer Referral Service Intern
Application Deadline: Ongoing
This internship offers an excellent opportunity to learn client interviewing skills and initial triage analysis, and gain experience working in the legal field. The Alameda County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) refers clients to attorneys who have been assigned to various subject matter panels. Our service is well-established, respected in the Alameda County legal community, and certified by the State Bar of California under Business and Professions Code §6155. The LRS also conducts client screening and intake for the bar association’s pro bono arm, Volunteer Legal Services Corporation (VLSC).
The LRS Intern will interface between clients seeking attorney services and the attorneys offering legal services. The intern will field a high volume of telephone calls from the public, conducting intakes and providing information about other legal service agencies. The intern will also assist VLSC by scheduling clients in legal clinics and conducting client intakes.
This is an unpaid, volunteer internship. The internship is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in the legal community and to increase access to legal services. Supervision will be provided by intake and placement supervisors as well as by the directing attorney. The position can be full or part-time, with a minimum commitment of 2 days per week (or equivalent), 120 hours. There may be an option to continue part-time during the spring also. Intake hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The office is located in downtown Oakland and is near BART.
Answer incoming client calls and analyze caller requests for referral to an LRS panel member or provide information for appropriate governmental, social service, or legal service agency where referral through LRS is unsuccessful.
Process client requests for attorney services by eliciting information from callers about their referral situation and entering this information into a tracking database for subsequent referral and follow up.
Conduct intake screening for financial eligibility for LRS based reduced-fee or VLSC pro bono services when appropriate and assist with monthly VLSC clinic registration.
Contact attorney’s offices to place the referable cases, providing all relevant facts, dates and court information to the lawyer’s designated referral agent.
Send confirmation documentation to callers and referred attorneys, confirming receipt where appropriate.
Input successful referral information for tracking and follow up purposes.
Contact previously referred callers for client follow up and audits.
Occasionally assist at VLSC clinics as needed.
Perform other general office and administrative tasks as assigned.
Excellent customer service required; two years of customer service experience preferred
Knowledge of legal terminology and call center experience is a plus.
Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Access
Bi/Multi-lingual ability preferred
Please send resume and cover letter to:
ACBA Lawyer Referral Service
1000 Broadway, Suite 480
Oakland, CA 94607